Saturday 6 August 2011

Last Post-Niyousha

I forgot to post last night and I would feel ashamed leaving this blog on a non-final note so I am going to make one last post.

I finished Nikolski on Thursday and I was not at all impressed. It was a light novel, and while that was nice after trying to decipher Hemingway, I wouldn't say that it was even worth the read. I can see how it merited some Canadian writing awards, because the writing in itself has no obvious flaws. It's well-written, flows well, and is filled with quaint metaphors and coincidences. However, there's virtually no plot to the novel. Sure, it's cool that that three characters are so closely related and are completely oblivious to it. But if that's all there's to the novel, then it'd be better as a short story. The ending is also a huge let down. It's trying to leave it undetermined as if this will provide a "deeper meaning", but it just looks like the author didn't know how else to end it.

I also failed my attempt at finishing David Copperfield, but that's okay because I am convinced I'll go back to it sometime this summer.

Overall, I'm really glad I followed through with this hermit reading experiment. I took a lot away from it:

1- I found that some time away from my phone and Facebook was all I needed to feel some much needed isolation. My family isn't the type that goes camping, or ever stays on an island in a cottage just to relax. We always have a purpose, even it's a recreational one such as seeing every possible touristic sight in every city we ever visit. So maybe that's why I've been feeling so crowded lately, because while I've been on vacation, I still hadn't gotten the chance to just relax by myself.

2-  Apparently all I need to motivate myself to read instead of watch TV is to tell other people about my goals. Even if it's just a few friends, or my non-existent blog readers. So I have set a new goal for myself: I am going to read one book per week for the rest of this year. Whether it's a busy school week or a week on holidays, I'm not going to allow any excuses. One book  a week. I'm going to reflect on all of them in a new blog. This blog will be on Wordpress and won't be up right away as I actually want to put some time and effort into this one.

3- I had an awesome week.


Much love to anyone who actually took the time to read this,
Niyousha

No comments:

Post a Comment