Friday 5 August 2011

Day 5-Teghan

First of all, I would like to say that Nikolski is an amazing novel. I read it in January and was thoroughly impressed.
Anyway, this post is being written from my iPhone, as my little sister is hogging the computer and my laptop has no charge. So please excuse me if it is short or unsatisfactory.
So this is the last day of this experiment, and I have to say that I enjoyed it immensely. Lately I haven't had much time to just sit and read, and I almost forgot how good it feels just to get lost in book after book. That being said, I also chose to pursue two classics in a row, and despite my passion and love for them, I found it to be tiresome.
I read The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne for my last novel, and was not overly impressed. Not that it was bad in any way, but it wasn't particularly interesting.
The premise of the story is that a young woman named Hester Prynne has an affair while her husband is away at sea and gives birth to a child named Pearl. She is besmirched for her sins and embarrassed in front of the whole town, made to wear a red "A" on her wardrobe for Adultery. She lives in exile with the child in a small cottage beside the town and makes her living as a seamstress. This is where the novel takes a downward turn (for me at least). The rest of the novel is spent trying to figure out who Pearl's father is, what Hester's husband is doing to get his revenge on Hester and how Pearl grows up. It was well written and lyrical, but still not one of the best books I've ever read. If I had the choice, I would have chosen something more modern for my last novel.
Well, I guess this is my last blogpost! Thanks for reading (if anyone actually did) and I hope you enjoyed our babble :)
-Teghan

No comments:

Post a Comment