Wednesday 3 August 2011

Day 3-Teghan

Day 3-Teghan

Sorry for the lack of post yesterday! (This comment directed at Niyoushi) I was busy moving and unloading boxes, my mother wouldn't let me have time on the computer. By the way, I miss you, Hermit.

I've now finished The Bishop's Man, which as I explained before definitely worth reading. Even though I don't believe in god, I learned a lot about how the church system works in modern times such as these and the author taught me things about my own country as well. It was a brilliantly composed piece of writing and it seemed as if everything was in it's right place. I found that it held the most magic for me when the author described the beaches of Nova Scotia as people. The characters are quirky, imperfect and sad in their own ways but you can't help but hope that they work out whatever underlying problems seem to haunt them. I won't give away the ending, but I will say that it was wrapped up in an unusual and intriguing way that left me satisfied.
Now onto my second novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It's a classic I've always heard good things about and thought about reading, but never got around to it. Last winter I was encouraged by Niyousha to pick it up, as it really was worth my time. I began reading it and then unfortunately found that I had no time what with homework and school projects. I had finished up to chapter two by the time this happened and the book was left on my shelf.
I've decided it's time to finish what I started and pick up the book again. I don't like having books that are unfinished sitting in my room, as it makes me feel guilty about not reading them.
Six chapters in to The Picture of Dorian Gray, I knew the book was something unique. It was most certainly not conventional, and didn't work in the way that most classics did. The characters were absolutely ridiculous, but in a way that made you shake your head and laugh. One of the main characters, Lord Henry (Or Harry) is the dimmest and oddest character I've ever come across. He gives advice to Dorian Gray that no one should ever take and that doesn't make sense. He makes me laugh as well as exclaim in frustration. The one quote that really describes his philosophy in life is one that I bookmarked for the specific intention of blogging it:

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Dorian, the main character, is a different story. I think he truly has the potential to be a good person and rise to his full potential, but he is too busy being corrupted by Lord Henry, young and impressionable. He has fleeting romances, deep realizations and numerous epiphanies throughout the book (Or at least the beginning).
So far it's an amusing book that I'm deeply enjoying reading, and looking forward to finishing!
-Teghan

No comments:

Post a Comment